Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Recent readings

A thought provoking and well reasoned article arguing for a ban against garments covering the face: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/opinion/05cope.html?hp
France is trying to pass a law that forbids people from wearing clothes that conceals their face. Critics argue that the French are discriminating against Muslim women who wear burqa. This author points out why it is not discrimination.

A book I've been reading recently is a collection of Guy de Maupassant's short stories. I don't think I've ever read Maupassant before, but his name is so familiar because my mom kept talking about him when I was younger. So it is surprising that I don't recall even a single book of his lying around at home. Anyway, the collection is called 'The Necklace and Other Short Stories", a book that seems to be present in every second hand bookstore in Pittsburgh. I'd picked this up nearly three years ago and only now got around to reading it. They are beautiful stories, heartrending, compassionate and honest. I can only get through one story a day, because each story makes me pause and reflect and brood.

Before my maternity leave gets over, I must get hold of short stories by Somerset Maugham and Saki and see which author fits what mood the best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I picked up 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' yesterday. So far it's been riveting.

I like Maugham's style and sarcasm. Happy Reading!
-Gotti