Sunday, March 20, 2011

India trip Part I

I didn't realize what a toll jetlag can take- especially if you are a little baby.

Little Fellow (LF), in the space of 72 hours, has undertaken a 19h flight, endured cramped spaces and disorienting, shifting time zones, a barrage of new faces and higher noise levels, with a remarkable amount of patience and equanimity. He did throw a fit yesterday morning, when faced with yet another round of new faces, while being desperately tired, but that is totally excusable. But trying times are still ahead: the biggest and most urgent consequence is constipation. LF's digestive system, tending to be a bit creaky at the best of times, seems to have gone on a temporary strike. Next is the upcoming trip to easily one of the hottest places in India- Chennai. I called Chennai my home during my undergrad years, and in the 6 years since I left India, I always felt a great affection for it based on nostalgia. But now that I actually have to go there (and that too in March... of course, it could have been worse. It might have been April... or May or June or really, any month), I feel some trepidation. What if LF finds it unbearably hot and humid? What if he gets a bad headache? What if the food doesn't agree with him?

In the end, one can only prepare so much. This is something I learned from my mother-in-law, and it has served me well in the few months that I have put it to the test: There's no point worrying relentlessly about things outside one's control. One prepares as well as one can and then prays to the Big Being Above. There's something very liberating about this approach- there's a clear endpoint to planning and preparing for anything. And then one admits, "There. Can't do anything more. Please, oh Big Being Above, take over"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You seem to come around to that same conclusion every year, that you can not really prepare for everything (irrespective of whom you learnt it from). :) When is LF's birthday btw? I remember being sometime this month but with your overly dragged out labor I don't remember what the exact date was. I have your mom's email somewhere. Should look it up. It's been a year already.. phew.. I remember getting all teary-eyed when I saw your mom's email (I know.. so much love). Anyway, back to my stupid poster. Have fun and post some pictures from the trip(better yet, email them to me). Happy Birthday to Ani!

Give aunty and uncle my regards.
-Gotti