Sunday, August 30, 2015

Sick

Every time I come across another little child molested in Bangalore schools, my stomach turns. I have a visceral fear of this, which mother does not? Fear, disgust, horror: these are common reactions to these stories whomever I speak to, wherever I bring this up. But when I ask other moms, what do you do when you hear something as unspeakable as this crime, I don't get any answers that satisfy me.

What should a person do when confronted with what seems to be an epidemic of sexual abuse of babies and children? What can we, as parents, as citizens, as sane humans do?
The answers I get vary from "I pray" to "My kids' school is very good. I know they will be safe there".
I cannot be content with these passive methods.We cannot keep on praying that someone else will tidy up things for us, pass laws that are stringent against these offenders (by the way, what are the punishments for these men? Why do they do the things they do? Are they sexually frustrated? Do they have some psychiatric issues? Are they under some kind of fucked-up, weird peer pressure to prove their masculinity? ). Or maybe I should stop saying "We cannot sit here doing nothing, hoping that things will improve", because from my experience, that is EXACTLY what most moms that I have spoken to want to do.

So let me rephrase that to I cannot sit here doing nothing. I need to feel that I have at least raised my voice. The very thought of sitting quiet, hoping someone else will fix the problem, hoping that my kids don't get harmed, hoping that the school they eventually join has taken the necessary steps to protect the kids, makes me sick, sick sick.Silence is acquiescence and I do not want to be silent.

Just starting a Facebook page will be useless. It has to be with an aim and some objectives in mind. So I've been keeping my fear at bay, by thinking about how to think through something like this. How does one start a movement? How does one bring about change? There are lessons to be learned here from any politician, movements like Arab spring, or even last year's parent protests that forced the police to make some infinitesimal rules, such as CCTV in schools.






2 comments:

Rainbows ahead said...

You could take up the lead to form a parents group, that will educate the kids on such issues. First step is awareness for young children.

stixnixpix said...

Great idea, Mang. As well as education for teachers and parents....