Monday, April 22, 2019

The all-natural, known-origin diet

A few months ago, RK and I signed up for a "better eating, better lifestyle" program.  It's really nice, the people who check in with us and recommend various things are great etc. One of the recommendations they made that really stuck with me was along the lines of eating foods as natural as possible. This isn't like a paleo diet thing, but more of a "let's reduce the stuff of unknown origins that enters our stomach"thing.
Two suggestions they made were reg wheat flour and ghee.
Now, wheat flour has always been something I purchase in large quantities from any of the usual big companies (Ashirvaad, or Pillsbury or whatever). And I'm very happy with the ghee I make at home from butter that I purchase from Nandhini or Amul.
But after speaking to this lady, I realized I didn't know exactly what was going into the atta or the butter that I purchase so liberally. What if the atta was actually chock-full of preservatives and chemicals? Or the butter full of antibiotics?
So, I decided I would do it the way my grandmom and mom used to do it a million years ago: actually buy the wheat seeds and take them to the mill to get the flour. Get full cream milk and extract the butter out of it.

Ok, so wheat seeds aren't as cheap as you might think. The whole process of purchasing the wheat (no more than 3kgs, because I couldn't carry more than that), taking it to the mill, standing around while the mill guy did whatever he had to do, and then bringing the hot (jeez, is that freshly ground flour HOT!) flour back home without hurting any part of hands and then making rather sub-standard chappatis out of it... bit of a let-down actually. Maybe this sort of wheat flour is very gluten-y- it was kind of hard to use. It kept feeling wet no matter how carefully I added the water to make the dough, and then when I added more flour, it would become dry and hard,

Then, the butter... OMG. What a nightmare. Firstly, getting desi milk from a desi cow (never mind wondering what the cow has eaten... I know which cow I'm getting the milk from, so I figure I am already ahead of the pack. The milk is.... well, okay. Not the greatest.. kind of watery, actually. Then, getting butter from milk is horrendously difficult, even if you put it in the mixie and not whisk it for hours  by hand like my grandmom used to do.  It's summer, the thing melts, it's difficult as hell to keep it cold and precipitated. Then the ghee-making... as soon as you put your nightmarish butter on the stove, you get the weirdest smell in the world. The whole house smells of it for a couple of days. And the ghee sticks to your palate and your tongue and is really rancid.

You know what? I'm okay not knowing the origins of my butter. And I'm not sure if the whole wheat seed-mill-atta nonsense is really worth it.



No comments: