Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Wildflowers near my lab

On the properties of the two abandoned houses near the Pitt genomics core lab on Forbes between Halket and Craft, I found:

a) Chicorium intybus. Chicory! The same chicory that's used as a coffee additive/alternative!


b) Oxalis stricta. Yellow woodsorrel. It's much too beautiful and fragile a plant to be named ox-anything!




c) Achillea mellifolium. Yarrow. I've been reading about this for a while and its medicinal properties are stupendous. It can be used as a pain reliever, to stop bleeding, and as an insect repellent. I need to grow some in the garden!


d) Taraxacum officinale. Dandelions! Yet another flower whose scientific name woefully falls short of describing the flower. Who doesn't know dandelions? 





e) Many more whose names I haven't yet figured out.



No comments: