Sunday, January 3, 2010

Obama's weatherization and my apartment

I finally get Obama - like, totally, really, like completely "get" him - and his weatherization. First time I heard that word, I raised an eyebrow- having never heard of the word before, I figured he, in an unexpected salute to Bush, was making up his own vocabulary. Then I cringed a bit, like a teen would when her normally sensible parent says something silly in front of the whole world. Googling "weatherization" didn't make much of a difference to this feeling of embarrassment because the only people who seemed to be using it were from the Federal government.

Anyway, today made a difference. It is -3F here in Pittsburgh and my house is drafty. I have, with militant vigor, attacked every window and every crevice to track down the source of the draftiness, but to no avail. As I sit at the computer, which is next to the window, I feel my fingers and my feet getting colder and colder. Try as I may, I cannot abolish the tendrils of cold that creep inside through invisible spaces from the windows.

This darn heating-leaking apartment has illustrated one more point of basic thermodynamics for me: cold air sinks and hot air rises. Keeping the heaters on "high" makes my face feel warm, but my feet are still cold, because I place them beneath the heaters. The feet have to feel the cold draft coming downwards from the window above the heaters.

My fellow PhDs from the engineering department: what the hell are you people doing? Stop designing bridges or construction equipment or whatever it is that you do, and figure out a way to stop the draft from entering my house, or to keep the heat from escaping out of it. I'm DYIN' here, I tell ya.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bah these basic science people (:P) - know only how to use "thames" words like weatherization and thermodynamics. Engineers dont waste their time learning these words or designing bridges (all the time), but rather spend their time solving problems ;). Here are some engineering!!! suggestions -

1) wear socks
2) wear slippers inside the house
3) wears socks and slippers
4) Ask the man to place his coat on the floor in front of you when you are ready to step out from the chair or couch.

5) The best solution - live in my apt. for the next 10 days (it is carpeted) and pay the rent and heat :P

Oh and by the way, its 75F out here and the floors are still cold :(

stixnixpix said...

eh. the fact that i'm paying so much for the heat in MY house implies that i shouldn't have to wear a) socks b) slippers and c) socks and slippers in my house.
what century is this? the 18th? am i to sit huddled up inside a blanket with a hot water bottle (or alcohol) to warm me up?
if you engineering buggers (because i know who you are, you see, mr.anonymous writer) had your acts together, this wouldn't have needed to happen. why don't you go to netherlands or sweden or wherever it is that they have energy efficient buildings and learn from them?

Unknown said...

very nice blog. More informative.I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Thanks for sharing.Driving Classes in Rajajinagar