Sunday, June 26, 2011

Books

I need to read something a little more intelligent than romance novels.

I read better books in India, when they were hard to come by, than I have in the US. The reason is simple: I would have to buy books in India, whereas I don't in the US. The number of books that are sheer muck (think Charlaine Harris or Stephanie Laurens) that I have unashamedly gobbled up here makes me cringe a bit.

In my 6 years here, what are the truly memorable books that I have read?

a) Atonement by Ian McEwan
b) At the Villa of Reduced Circumstances by Alexander McCall Smith
c) Brother Cadfael's Penance by Ellis Peters
d) The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant
e) The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
f) A Guide to the Birds of East Africa by Nicholas Drayson

Gosh. And that's it. I can't think of anything else that I have read completely and can actually say that it made an impact on me. How lowering that I should have checked out so many books from the library in the past 6 years and barely a fraction of a percentage actually registerd. I need to get back to treasuring quality over quantity.

No comments: