Thursday, June 16, 2011

Overkill?

Came to the decision some weeks ago that I would not pursue a research-intensive post doc, and would instead focus on a teaching-based one.
Love the decision, feel good about it, and the birds are singing, the sky is blue, etc etc.

Now, I fear that I might have been a bit too aggressive towards getting my dream job. *Cringe*
D.J. is the post of lecturer at University of Pittsburgh. Awesome, right? I WANT this job. I would be good for them, and they would be good for me. Everyone wins.

But what if, in my confident (over-confident?) enthusiasm, I have put them off? Let me tell you what I did: put in my application, got my 3 referees to write their letters on time, then got my adviser to mail them (about 2 weeks after he sent the recommendation letter, reiterating the main points), VISITED them and told them about myself and that this was my top choice, AND when my labmate said that she would write a recommendation letter for me, egged her on to do it.

Might this be a case of over-exposure? *wince*

I might have killed my chances, or raised unnecessary expectations, or even resentment.

Oh nooooo :(

It's been 52 days since the deadline and I haven't heard back from them... or, come to think of it, from anybody else whom I applied to. I wish there could be a tracking system where I could see my status among all the candidates and modify my behavior as and when necessary.

No comments: