Friday, December 5, 2014

New birds!

I saw a pair of purple sunbirds (Cinnyris asiaticus), a male and a female, on the branches of some flowering trees behind the Center for Human Genetics, Electronic City Ph 1, Bangalore on December 4th, at around 4pm in the evening.

Male



Female:



Until I identified the male as a purple sunbird, I had been thinking that the female was a little spider hunter, which looks like this:



See the similarities?
Male Little Spiderhunter
Female purple sunbird


But the fact that the male purple sunbird is undoubtedly that, and nothing else, and that the two birds were chirruping and foraging together on the same tree convinces me that the grey-yellow bird has to be the female sunbird and not the spider hunter. Plus, I am not sure if the female's beak was quite as long as the spider hunter's. 

Both the birds were smaller than a sparrow, tiny, fast and loud. Exquisite little creatures.

No comments: