Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Introspection and some navel-gazing

We've lived in Pittsburgh for 10 years now. For both Ram and me, products of an itinerant childhood, this is the longest we have ever stayed in any city. Six months ago, if you'd asked either of us, we would have happily said we would probably stay in Pittsburgh and live in our current house forever.

How quickly the mind changes!

Now we are just as excited about leaving behind our lives here and starting afresh, returning full circle to the city we were born in.

I think the biggest benefit of such a move is that one is forced to introspect about what one really wants to do. An opportunity like this can't be squandered, as Shantideva has said in his Bodhisattvacaryavatara:

("Time and opportunity are hard to find; if I lose them now, where will I find them again?"
My translation. It captures the general superficial message, but falls completely short of capturing any of the depth or insight. Still, it serves its purpose for now)

So some of the many questions or issues that I've been pondering are:
a) How should we think about this move?
Is it a rejection of our American life or an acceptance of an Indian life or neither? Or perhaps should we think about it completely differently: as setting up a project in a different site. What if, every 5 or so years, we envision an exciting project, breathe life into it, set it up and then move on to something else in a different place?
b) After moving back, I will be interacting with my close and extended family on a frequent, perhaps even day-to-day, basis. There will be daily phone calls, famlily-related events to attend, festivals, religious events, weddings, deaths, illnesses, all the things that are considered "good to participate in", but are the same things I'm fairly insulated from right now, sitting half way across the world. How can I prepare for this?
c) What are some ways by which I can juggle family and work while getting time for myself and to spend with my husband?
d) What are some ways by which Ram, the kids and I can stay healthy?
e) How do I stop being overly sensitive about the many issues that I am sensitive about (such as child-rearing) and handle issues gracefully?








No comments: